Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Where Are They Now: Steve Parish


Who is he?

Steve Parish was never one to walk the straight-and-narrow, even during his childhood growing up in Flushing Meadow, Queens. Busted as a teenager for selling acid in the summer of 1968, Parish landed in Riker's Island. The experience changed him and after getting out he did his best to stay out of trouble, securing a job moving music equipment at the New York State Pavilion. The first show he worked was a Grateful Dead concert in July of 1969 and Parish was captivated by the music. A life seemingly headed nowhere had suddenly found its calling as he fell in quickly with a band of likeminded misfits who formed the nucleus of what would be the greatest road crew in rock 'n' roll history.Parish traveled to California where his apprenticeship began. Working for the band for free and learning his craft, Parish got to know Jerry, Bobby, Phil, Billy and Mickey and through the years their relationships forged an unbreakable bond. He became very close with Garcia in particular, acting as his personal roadie and later manager for his solo performances and Garcia Band shows. He was there during times of trouble (like when a pimp held Garcia hostage at gunpoint in a New York hotel room), spending hours by his bedside when Garcia was in a coma in 1986, and performing the duties of best man at his wedding. He was also the last friend to see Garcia alive.

Where is he now? (or What has he been doing?)

2000
Steve was the host of Roadie Radio.

2003
9/24 – Steve was interviewed on the Grateful Dead Hour 9/24/03.

2004
1/4 – Steve’s book Home Before Daylight : My Life on the Road with the Grateful Dead released.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found parish but where are you?
+< Memoriam. News. Gatherings.
I'm at the right show. I just cant hear the band. The dead are making to much racket. Care to help me out?

Wednesday, November 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not so sad. Keller. Where are you now america? jerry? where are you

Wednesday, November 05, 2008  
Anonymous barbette moonalice said...

I just talked to Steve last night in Felton. He works for the Moonalice band now. He looks great and he gave me a very nice back massage/healing treatment. What a sweet man Steve it! He seems quite happy and is working hard with a great band. He is still in love with the music and has devoted himself to it.

Sunday, August 16, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.moonaliceband.com

Friday, September 04, 2009  
Blogger Cindy Bellelli said...

I'd love to find Steve... I knew him when I lived in San Rafael... Look me up on Facebook cindy bellelli

Thursday, October 28, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

I grew up with Steve in Kew Garden Hills and we were good friends from Kindergarden at P.S. 164 through Bowne H.S. We both usrvived Goldie Berkoff in the 4th grade and had Paul Simon's sweet mom as a substitute teacer during elementary school. My band back then was one that Steve Arthur Moshlack and Louis Rosenbaum used to enjoy listening too. I remember the summer when Steve joined up with the Grateful Dead moving equipment, and when he moved out to the west coast. He was filled with dreams and excited anticipation. Steve is a genuinely cool, kind guy you can't help but love. I last saw him when the Dead played the old Boston Garden with Jerry for the very last time, I had been given backstage passes for my then 13 year old daughter and me & I sent Steve a note on the back of my business card from "Imagine" my Lennon - Garcia inspired shop in Mystic, CT estab 1979. I simply said I was there with my daughter, and during the long intermission Steve had us brought us back stage, where we caught up on 25 years. He then brought out Jerry from his dressing room, who was exactly as sweet, funny and cool as he had been when I first met him at the Cafe Au Go Go in Greenwich Village in'68. He was so kind to my daughter in all he Dead gear. We'll never forget what an incredibly nice guy and friend Steve was. Hoping to contact and see him again down the line. If he sees this or anyone knows how I can reach my old friend let me know.

Richie Abelman aka RichardDouglas26@gmail.com

Friday, January 14, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know of a guy named ANCHOVY that may have been a roadie for GD back about 1970? If you do please get in touch at eDreamboats@yahoo.com. Needing info on him.

Thursday, January 20, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve is still with the band MoonAlice. I'm sure that anyone who wants to get in contact with him can do so through them. moonaliceband.com

Saturday, November 17, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve was at Stevestock in Long Beach CA on 07/05/2013 with the band MoonAlice.
You can see him in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab7nhLcZnIk

Monday, July 15, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just finished the book home before daylight in a word it was fantastic. great job

Friday, September 20, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

Big steve keystone Berkeley standing up to angles and gained their respect

Sunday, July 07, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Click here to join deadshows
Click to join deadshows