Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Tomorrow Show Removed From YouTube

YouTube doesn't really have a place/way for me to make comments, so I'm doing it here.

For those of you who don't know, I posted a bunch of rare Dead videos to YouTube in January & February. I only posted videos that weren't commercially available. I believe that not only did the Grateful Dead make great music, but they made history too. For years and years I could only imagine what the Dead looked like while playing shows back in the classic eras. When I was finally lucky enough to get some of these great classic videos, I just had to share them and the relatively new YouTube was the perfect forum. But because YouTube was pretty new and I didn't know how it would pan out, I kept that profile separate from my "SLC Library Boy" persona and used the handle "SaltLakeDude." Check out the East Bay Express article.

Since then, I have only had one video removed. The owners of "Hippie Temptation" (a 1967 U.S. documentary) requested it be removed because it violated their copyright. It was a CBS TV news special hosted by Harry Reasoner that explored the "way-out world" of the Hippies and the Haight-Ashbury psychedelic '60s LSD scene. The Grateful Dead are interviewed and are shown performing "Dancin' in the Streets" on a flatbed truck in Golden Gate Park. Talk about HISTORY!!! It's really sad that these "owners" had it removed because, as I understand it, they don't have an official version for sale. They weren't losing money, they just didn't want anyone to see it. Of course, there are bootlegs for sale out there. Just like the ridiculous War On Drugs, only the criminals profit now and the law abiding citizens go without.

I had also posted the Grateful Dead's appearance on the Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder from 1973. Those who have followed my blog lately know that I took a break. I intended to remove the clips as soon as the official DVD was released. I have now deleted the videos. Again, my philosophy: If it's for sale, go buy it. If not, let's share!

To be honest, I wish most (if not all) of this stuff was available on official DVD's. Take the movie "Sunshine Daydream" as an example. I have only been able to get a fraction of it (hint hint any kind friends out there). I posted what I have (see below). I have wanted to see the whole thing for-like-ever. I posted a (lack of) updates on this blog concerning the official release. Still no release! Come on!



2 Comments:

Blogger Deadman said...

ITA about the buy/share thing. I'm glad I got a chance to see the vid you posted on youtube before you had to pull it.

Have you tried Justin Kreutzman? As a filmmaker, maybe he has some info on where you can get a copy.

Thursday, November 23, 2006  
Blogger irenie said...

Even though I spent years collecting and trading GD videos (about 100 including a couple I filmed)- I'm really glad they are popping up on you tube for all to enjoy.

Friday, November 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Click here to join deadshows
Click to join deadshows